Being that this is a family friendly website, I don’t have the words
to publicly describe the past 24 hours. To say it’s been a bit stressful
would be an understatement.
In short, a couple of days ago, our server, hosted at serverbeach.com
started to act flaky. Over three or four days, site performance slowed
to a crawl, then finally gave up the ghost yesterday. We made a couple
of requests to repair or replace the failing hard drive. These were
never directly answered, instead we were told that the server had been
restarted and appeared to be working. That was acceptable after it
stopped once. Even after it stopped twice. But after the 4th restart the
hosting company should have pulled the obviously faulty drive.
The drive was finally yanked yesterday. It took almost 24 hours for a
new drive to be installed and properly configured. Every request for
help would result in a 2 to 4 hour wait for a response. In 80% of the
cases, the information in the responses was either incorrect or
incomplete. We’d do as instructed, discover it didn’t work, then have to
wait for another 2 to 4 hours for the original request to be fixed. The
errors involved things like not plugging in the drive correctly, not
installing the control panel software, and overwriting a bunch of files.
These are very basic problems that would have been easily avoided if
the tech people had taken a moment to test their work.
This didn’t just affect theblogstudio.com, but a number of our
friends and client’s sites as well. To those folks I deeply apologize.
We’ve changed server companies, and so far are very impressed with
mosso.com. Not only are they literally half the cost of serverbeach,
they have actual human beings in tech support you can reach 24/7.
That’s it for now. I’ve got a couple of days worth of work to catch up on, and a beer somewhere calling my name…